Our school Safeguarding Team:
A member of safeguarding staff is always available during term time.
‘Safeguarding is the action that is taken to promote the welfare of children and protect them from harm.’
- protecting children from abuse and maltreatment
- preventing harm to children’s health or development
- ensuring children grow up with the provision of safe and effective care
- taking action to enable all children and young people to have the best outcomes.
Child protection is part of the safeguarding process. It focuses on protecting individual children identified as suffering or likely to suffer significant harm. This includes child protection procedures which detail how to respond to concerns about a child.
If any parents, families or visitors have concerns about the welfare or safety of any children at Leigh St Peter’s CE Primary, please contact our safeguarding leads above without delay.
If your concern is outside school hours or regarding a child not at our school, please follow the process below:
If you have concern that a child is being harmed as a result of abuse or neglect, you must not keep these concerns to yourself.
If you live in Wigan Local Authority, these are the numbers that you can ring for advice and to make a referral:
- Monday-Sunday (24hours) call Children’s Social Services Initial Contact Point on 01942 828300
- If you have reason to believe that a child is at IMMEDIATE RISK OF HARM, contact the police on 999
As well as speaking to Wigan Authority, you can also contact:
- Police: 0161 872 5050 or 999 in an emergency
- Parentline Plus: 0808 8002 222
- NSPCC: 0808 8005 000
KEEPING ALL CHILDREN SAFE IS EVERYONE’S RESPONSIBILITY
Operation Encompass Safeguarding Statement
Our school is part of Operation Encompass.
Operation Encompass is a national Police and Education early intervention safeguarding partnership which supports children and young people who experience Domestic Violence and Abuse and which is in place in every police force in England and Wales.
Children were recognised as victims of domestic abuse in their own right in the 2021 Domestic Abuse Act.
Operation Encompass means that the police will share information with our school about all police attended Domestic Abuse incidents which involve any of our children PRIOR to the start of the next school day.
Further information can be found on the Operation Encompass website:
Our policies can be found within the Key information section on the home page.